7/12/2007

Recyled Coated Paper Stock!

I have spent the last few chunks of spare-time at work to do some heavy duty cross-referencing about recycled paper.

After reading Silent Spring, I got very concerned with the processes that paper goes through at the mill. It all seems completely logical, now; but, it didn't occur to me that chlorine was being used to make papers white. Duh. According to a great instructional pdf for eco-worried designers (download it, it's great):
The EPA labeled dioxin, which is produced in chlorine, as one of the most potent carcinogens ever tested in laboratory animals. Its natural production is very small in comparison to those made by humans.

So I got to thinking about the choices I make with every project and how much control I actually have over the thousands upon thousands of pieces of paper that I am responsible for.

It is damn easy to find beautiful uncoated stock that is Processed Chlorine Free. Most paper lines carry these but don't indicate it in their stocking tables - It's only briefly mentioned in the swatch book copy. Generally, I found as a rule that your have to find the 100% recycled sheets in order to find a Processed Chlorine Free (and certification is not available for this credential, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong, please). Some of these are:
  • Domtar Proterra (Jute and Chalk only? I need to check that again)
  • Neenah Environment PC 100, Mohawk Options 100% PC
  • Via Smooth 100% PC cool white
  • Strathmore script
  • Wausau Exact Eco 100
What's missing? A coated sheet. In my experience, thus far, people really like to leave their fingerprints all over everything and they want glare off of lights to impede their reading, so they go straight for the ooo and ahhh of a coated sheet. I, for one, really dislike every brochure I've made that comes back coated. It makes it look cheap and like rest-stop tourist fodder... which in all honesty, most of the stuff I've done for the state is. I won't be able to win the "let's try an uncoated sheet" argument with some people (the same folks that think the final printed copy looks "too dark - it didn't look that way on my monitor when you sent me the pdf." Luddites.

So, I need to find a 100% recycled PCF COATED sheet. Good luck with that, buddy. There is one such product that I've located.
New Leaf Paper
You can order a swatch book from them, of course, just to see and believe. Until I find a competitor for this sheet (New Leaf Reincarnation C1S) I am going to specifically put this stock on my bid requests. State Law prohibits substitutions in the print-bid process, so I should win a few battles here.

Do Less Damage.

1 comment:

Brandon Whitesell said...

From Roy at FoldFour.com:

this simply confirms what you've already determined...
but perhaps additionally useful:
http://www.celerydesign.com/paper/matrix.html