2/11/2008

Dear sir, pepsi is sucking


I just wrote this letter to my trusty US representative:

Dear Sir, 
As you are well aware, North Carolina is in a state of extreme drought. Raleigh, in particular, has enacted further restrictions on residents and businesses. I fully stand behind these measures and have personally taken steps to lessen my water usage and have made my friends aware of the seriousness of the issue, too. 
WRAL reported that the Pepsi Bottling company in Raleigh is one of the top users of our water supply (link - http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2399333/ ). And according to the Independent Weekly (link - http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A168902 ), that water is being sold as the Aquafina product. I can't help but feel a little protective of my water supply; I want to know if you think that there is anything that can be done to stop or lessen Pepsi's "production" of Aquafina while Raleigh is in drought conditions. It seems that since governments need to be involved to have small towns tap into new or different reserves, a major corporation should be halted from what amounts to removing my own water and selling it to others (at exorbitant prices). 
I have the utmost respect for your positions on environmental issues. What do you think can be done about Pepsi's abuse of our water supply? I feel somewhat powerless in the shadow of this major corporation and look to you for some ideas and assistance.


I am (not) suprised that the news channels aren't making a bigger deal of this. The other large users of water are public entities - government, university, and hospitals - places that have the ability to install low-flow hardware (and have in most cases) and also inform employees of the situation and encourage habit change.
Pepsi, on the other hand is simply and rampantly bottling up our water and carting it off to god-knows-where to be sold for money - lots of money. I don't think that monetary punishment is in order here. I am more interested in criminal punishment and facility shut-down. I feel this is a near impossibility given how embedded corporations are in local government around here (RTP for those playing at home)... not to mention some jobs on the line. But, come on. It's our water and we are running out. 
No substantial rain in February's forecast.

No comments: